Friday, April 13, 2012

The Vine

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit it he prunes so that it will be even more fruitful. You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me."
   “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples."
On the way to work, I listened to John McArthur run through this passage.  I had never given it much thought before, but in a moment, I was gently reminded by the Holy Spirit of the importance of the fruit we bear.  See, I can be preachy.  Truly, it comes from a deep passion within that is completely resulted from my beliefs, but because I like to talk, sometimes I do not represent Christ in the correct way.  This is something to think about with those around me, for sure, but in this moment, I was reminded of Olivia.  Our children HAVE to be able to see things for themselves.  Yes, we teach that Faith is the evidence of things unseen, but for young eyes, tangible things are the best learning tools.  It doesn't just have to be touchable things; look to situations to help with this.  Last night when Daddy did the cleaning after dinner, I was worn out.  The night goes quick.  He stepped out to get something out of the car, and I said to Olivia, "Do you see how daddy has helped us today? Let's tell him we love him.  We can be thankful that we have him!"  Just those moments that help Olivia recognize what is appropriate and good for her to be thinking about.  In my fatigue, I have snapped at Olivia a few times lately.  I told her yesterday, "Mommy is so sorry that I have not been patient with you.  Thank you for loving me, even when I don't do the best job."  She is learning what grace is!  You can use these same situations that I am using to build character in your children.

Jesus is telling us that if we are in HIM, we are a branch in HIS root, and we will bear fruit in our lives.  These are represented by the outpouring of the Fruits of the Spirit (from Galatians 5:22-23).  In the above passage, we learn that without HIM, we have no fruit.  I see this in our world today.  Thankfully, being a friend of Christ, I also am tended to by the Holy Spirit when my own life does not reflect the True Vine.  This passage is not to be used on others before we look into our own hearts and families to see what others see when they look at us.  

I hope for Olivia that she has a wonderful life...I hope she is well-nourished, well-read, well-rounded, moral, mannerly, lovely to be around, enjoys the little things, among many other hopes.

But, today, more than anything else, I hope she knows Jesus.  I hope she relies on Him when times are tough.  I hope she seeks advice from Him in His Word.  

Let us truly lead by example.  They will follow where we lead!

My All-time Favorite!

Song:  Legacy
Artist:  Nichole Nordeman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3GxmLaaAwg