Wednesday, September 26, 2012

They Tell


I recently heard a woman remark that you can tell everything about a person by looking at their feet.  See, this professional football player decided to start taking off his shoes after the game going to the locker room to raise awareness about those who are in need.  He then took part in a foot-washing experience.  Those feet he washed did not know who he was, someone "famous."  Instead, he used this to gain insight into what Jesus did when He became a servant to His disciples, washing their feet.

Have you ever had your feet washed?  Have you ever washed someone else's?

I have washed the feet of my husband, never a stranger though.  What an intimate feeling to cleanse the things that carry us around all day...

A look without primping at my feet will tell you a little about me.

They are soft, mostly-not a barefoot girl.
My big toe is slightly calloused-on my feet all day; struggle with posture.
My toenails are usually painted-dark pink now-trying to appear groomed.
My big toenail on one foot has polish peeling-way too much going on in my life.
There is a decent arch-wear tennis shoes all day almost everyday in my job.
No scars-not too adventurous as a little girl-liked socks.

What would I know about you if I had you remove your shoes right now and washed your feet?

Being a servant has been pressing in on me lately.  The time, the effort, the reality of the hurting world, reaching out when I have nothing to give.  Join me in contemplating our lives-are we making priority to be servants for Christ?

The evening meal was in progress, and the devil had already prompted Judas, the son of Simon Iscariot, to betray Jesus. Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; so he got up from the meal, took off his outer clothing, and wrapped a towel around his waist. After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples’ feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.  John 13:2-5