Friday, May 3, 2013

Build a Fence

Boy, sometimes I would really enjoy having a fence around my backyard. I could open the door, let Olivia run free and go back to kitchen chores with the window open. No running neighborhood dogs or BB guns from a group of kids down the road... Recently one of our neighbors got a very tall privacy fence put in. A couple days ago, another couple down the street added a partition of a fence for privacy. It just makes me wonder what all we are trying to block out? I understand. Children in, dogs in, some children out (haha!), other animals out...is that it?

My dad and husband recently built a wonderful swingset for Olivia. She adores it! The boy next door has been making frequent visits too. He is older, of course, but I am very glad to have a place for neighborhood youngsters to play. When he wants to swing, he knocks on my front door and asks me. I don't mind. His parents seem to be nice people, but I haven't made the effort to know them more than a passing hi. When he swings, I ask him about school and baseball practice. I ask him if he is nice to his friends. I tell him to come anytime. Olivia asks if he is home when she runs toward her swings. I want him to come. Having a safe place for him and others to be is very important to me. I didn't realize that the addition of the playset would make a bridge to my neighbors...

He wouldn't come play if there was a fence blocking him out.

By all means, for pets and some instances with children, have your fence. No worries. If I could have had a free fence a year ago, I may have begged my husband to rush to get it installed. We have multiple neighbor dogs among other things that would be nice to block out for safety purposes. These boundaries I see going up mean a little more to me now. I choose to take down the privacy fences in my mind and heart, the ones that keep me from being freed up for real. I hope each one of you find the place in your own heart that you have put up fences. We can block people out, but our Lord God sees us. Let Him be the one you open the gate for first. Soon enough, you may begin to let your life reach out to someone who needs you.

And there is always someone who needs us.