Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Parents



My parents are special.  I guess we may all feel that way, at least somewhat.  It is only now that I have grown that I truly know what this means.  They are different from me.  I have not always accepted this growing up, maybe even making our relationship strained in unnecessary ways.  What irony that the older you get, the more God opens your eyes to priorities.  It doesn't matter that they are not just like me; in fact, am I the standard?  No.  I look back to the years of the relationship I have had with my mom and dad and wonder why God waited to mature me to the level of respect I now have for them.

All of the readers here come from different backgrounds, especially when it comes to the family unit.  Biblically speaking, mothers and fathers are an integral part of any child's life.  Instead, with sin penetrating our lives, we must take what we have and bring God glory anyway.

I am blessed beyond measure.  Are you?  I don't even know you, and I say yes.  You are reading this blog.  You are alive, yes, maybe struggling with something, but alive.  One Sunday morning, in my 3 year old room, the kids were extremely wild.  The boys were running around the tables like there was a fire drill, and the little girls were playing tug-of-war with the baby dolls.  With the help of another teacher, we finally got them all calmed down, just in time to hear the complaints, "When is it time to go home?!"  Let's just say it was not an ideal Sunday at church!  I told them their mommies and daddies would be coming soon.  One dear little boy says, "Teacher, I don't have a daddy."  Whoa!!!!!  Have you ever felt all the blood rush out of your face?  I must have turned pale, even more pale than I already am!  Instantly, after consulting God in a split second plead, I said to him, "Sweetie, we all have the greatest Father ever.  You can count on that."  Remember that no matter what your family circumstances are, we have a perfect Father in Heaven that cares.

Love on your parents today!  If this is not something you can do, love on your Father in Heaven.  Did you know He knows how many hairs you have on your head?

I love you Dad and Mom!