Monday, November 26, 2012

Called

Okay, so you have thought at least once about keeping your kids at home.  Maybe you just can't stand your job.  Maybe you are tired of forking over a thousand bucks a month for childcare.  Maybe you think life would be so much easier if you could just be at home all day.  Maybe you have a hobby you want to expand... Maybe you just miss your kids.

Could it be a calling?  I want to share a secret of mine: I thought being home would never be something I was interested in.  I didn't grow up always wanting to be a mommy, wishing about how many kids I'd have.  Instead of things like home economics and babysitting in high school, I was more interested in taking the test in college-level chemistry.  God blessed me with sensitivity and compassion though...my family saw my motherly instincts when I visited my grandparents in the nursing home.  Still, I may have thought I had serious boyfriends, but I never not once deeply desired a large (or even small) family of my own.


When I met my husband, we were in college.  Even then, I was not one to long for the farmhouse and little feet running around.  Instead, I felt an important pull to "make something of myself."  This line of doctrine is not all bad, of course.  Following the route of education that I did is definitely no regret.  After all, God has used it for good!  My education allows me to have options.  There is a scary reality here though...

Most young girls up through college are not encouraged in the way of domestication, not at all.  The best we can hope for is that when mommy has a fleeting moment, she will teach her children how to clean their rooms, sweep and mop, keep tidy, cook, bake, and on and on.  Lots of times, even in my own short time as a mommy so far, there is barely time to get my own chores done, especially no time to teach them these traits they will need as they grow toward womanhood.  While I know there are other important parts to life that are outside the home, like serving others, attending functions and fun activities, inside our home is where all the character is built up.  See, learning the duties of the house is just the beginning...the meat of it all is the time we have one on one.  If we don't build it on the inside, what will character built by the world look like?  If we don't have time to concentrate on the duties of running a household and learning to respect Daddy, when and where will they learn it?  If we expect them to learn everything they should know about leaning on Jesus all from the church house, will those few doses a week on Him be all their hearts burn for?

 Career women are driven women.  I have been one.  Careers are not bad goals.  Helping your family by attaining and keeping a good job is great.  Unfortunately, of all the good that can do, it makes it incredibly hard to be there physically and mentally for your family.  This is not a jab at you as a wife and mother....this is strictly an encouragement that for me became harsh reality.  This story of mine is here to offer you a glimpse into the wisdom that God has shown me so far when it comes to mothering Olivia and giving myself to my husband.  There are ones who have poured their own experiences with this into me that the Lord has used to remind me of my priorities and that time is short.  We have a lessening amount of days to show our children the love of Christ.  Ladies, you can't do it all, you just can't...but submitting yourself to Jesus' calling on your life will bring you peace and comfort that survives even the bumpiest storms and battles.


Being at home is my calling.  At first, I thought it was a sacrifice--of my career, of our financial standing, of me "making something of myself"--now I see the sacrifice came on the days of 9 hour daycare.

Are you being called to something?  My pastor says it best when he says to get off the bench and step into the game.  The game that can change your whole life :)