Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Because We Swim

Swimming!  We are all doing it now...this time of year, even the ones of us who aren't keen in the water may enjoy a refreshing dip.  While there are many opinions about child flotation equipment, I wanted to share mine in hopes of helping you find the right thing for your child if you haven't already.

1.  Wings

Photo courtesy Madyson!

Grade = B

These are good for shallow water, when the child can choose to stand up or not.  If you can find the ones that have the fabric overlay like these, they are more comfortable and encourage the child to keep them on.  I would say that they do their job, but are some of the least dependable.  The main issue I have with these in a deep pool is that they restrict the head from seeing much side to side.  The plus is that the children must use their arms and feet, which will teach them quickly about swimming basics.

2. Wearable Intertube

Photo courtesy Kaitlyn!

Grade = B+

Olivia used this last year.  This is an inexpensive way to keep a very small one afloat.  It buckles underneath.  It promotes kicking in the water, but the arms don't have to do much.  This wouldn't be good if you are moving toward swim lessons.  The bottom buckle is great, especially if they are still in a swim diaper.  If not, it will ride up:(.  Kids don't like this, obviously.

3.  The Real Deal

Photo courtesy Olivia!

Grade = A

Of course this is the true flotation device!  I conclude this is not for the pool in most circumstances.  The child cannot see much and will probably, in my experience, just "float" there.  It does almost too good a job if you are trying to promote any swimming techniques.  Leave this for the ocean or lake.

4. Puddle Jumper (this year's favorite)


Grade = A+

For a year now, I wanted this for Olivia.  I watched my niece swim, yes, learn to kick her feet, not be afraid to put her face in, and paddle her arms.  Olivia has adored this.  She has plenty of confidence in the water with this on, which is an important move toward swimming with nothing.  Just make sure it's adjusted tightly in the back where the buckle is.

Important note.  In all honesty, all of these floats really give a false impression to the child about the water.  I would actually recommend that no device would be the best.  But, this involves complete dedication on the parent's part.  I have walked the line, changing my mind over and over.  I am not a very good swimmer.  So, when I am in charge, the kids will wear their gear.  If Dustin, my husband, is there, he is much more confident in the water than I.  He may work with her without her floatie.  

Enjoy swimming, no matter which you choose to use!