Monday, June 17, 2013

You Won't Believe

                         



Two things.  

First, I, Laura, visited the Bristol Drag Races.  There, see if you believe it!

Second, with my ear plugs in, a thought of relation to what we should allow God to do with our lives...at the races!! ha!  He can use any circumstance.

Like any event that includes grand stands, all types of folks, alcohol, and numerous noise factors, it was wild.  That's okay.  Not my comfort zone at all though.  Seeing a grown man stumbling drunk scares the insides right out of me, to be honest.  Where has his life taken him.  I'm sure I emotionally couldn't even handle the stories he would tell.  Does he know God loves him?  Probably numb too much to see reality.


The children, the environment.  Maybe an adolescent boy with his daddy, but the young girls.  I just don't get it.  But then again, I was there, with my daddy.  I knew he would adore it, and he hadn't been in over 20 years!  I never realized a car could sound like an earthquake.  They were right about the earplugs.  My body wouldn't have survived without them!

When you have earplugs in, you still "feel" the noise.  The mumble and chaos is very muffled though.  It's like you are more observant because the hearing is down.  I have heard that before.  One sense is decreased, and the others increase to compensate.  I won't pretend to understand how that would be in everyday life, but I rather enjoyed using my eyes and having the noise quieted.  As I watched flames shoot out of this car going over 300 mph, I instantly was reminded of the control God gives us.  Relationship with my best friend Jesus means I always have the option to give Him control.  

Option.  It's still a daily choice.

I can say the line of, "I'm saved," but living a saved life is different.  Going to Heaven is an assured thing, no argument.  But how I get there, my daily struggles, how I cope, what is special to me, that's the walk I lead.  Well, He leads it.  He defines it.  Not the opinions of others, not the media persuasion, not the volume of fans in grandstands.  Only ONE.  Through the Spirit and through the power of His words in Scripture.

The experience was fun, I guess.  I enjoy seeing my dad enjoy himself.  He watched every car he was in his seat for.  His face lit up like a little boy.  Getting a golf cart ride by my dearest hubby back through the pit area really topped off his time.  I was ready to get out of there.  He could have stayed till the end if it hadn't been such a long drive home.  I have no regrets of taking him there...just regrets for the folks I saw letting go of all control.  They weren't the drivers of the cars either...

 

Could I recommend a read?  Galatians.  It's in the New Testament a little bit over half way through.  It gives us a picture of what love is.  The true definition of where it comes from.  What the Holy Spirit inhabiting us looks like.  You'll finish it in twenty minutes.  It will be worth it ladies!