Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Should Have Stopped

It happened just a little while ago.  We were singing the tenth round of our Colossal Coaster song...when we passed a father and son jogging along the road.  They were not in runner type attire, but, for a second, I thought maybe they were just out doing their thing.  A couple seconds later, we were passing a mother holding on tight to the hand of her little girl, about the same height as Olivia.  Then we passed the car which appeared broken down.  This was a residential area, but a busy two-lane road, no shoulder...

I looked in the rear view, watching as they were attempting to cross the road.  We didn't stop to help.

I only took my foot off the accelerator for a second.  No way God, don't ask me to do that...

Thing is, my heart stirred me to stop this time.  I have never done this with my daughter along.  Safety reasons, of course.  But, does The Lord not take our best interest to His?  The next street, I thought about turning around.  I didn't.  The traffic light before I turned onto our highway, I thought about turning around.  I didn't.  I got butterflies...have you ever?  Finally, realizing that she was already almost asleep in the backseat, hungry for lunch, I took a deep breath and started a silent confessional.

Lord, I sinned just then.  I didn't listen to You.  I am sorry.  Please give me another chance.  I know it will never be convenient to stop to help someone.  It will break my schedule or make me anxious.  I wonder what that mom was thinking.  What if that were me...no, I have a cell phone.  But, maybe I may forget it one day...will someone help me if I need it?  I couldn't cross that busy street with Olivia.  No way.  Holy Spirit, help me do what I am supposed to do.

After an extended vacation Bible school naptime, garden work and swimming, I didn't think again of that mom, until now.  God brings things in front of us at certain times, for His reasons.  Will I do the right thing next time?