Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Apple Season

A big box of apples...what to make?

Okay first, eat some whole!

Second, peel and slice into a container for the fridge.  Fried apples with cinnamon and sugar with dinner tonight...

Third, take on the task of making applesauce and apple butter. Whoa!  Fellow preservers out there, it is not that difficult.  To me, it is well worth it.  Although looking back, I wish I had worn my new house slippers while standing for all that time leaned over my counter...

Here is the process in pictures, partly for pure picture enjoyment, partly out of my pride.  If you want to start your box of apples, here are the written steps to follow:

1. Fill up your sink to wash them whole.  Cut off any bad places and stems and quarter them, not worrying about the peeling still on and the core with the seeds.  You will hold those back in the pressing part.


2. Place all quartered pieces in largest pot for the stove that you can find... I used my pressure canner pot.  Don't add water.  Bring to light boil and reduce to simmer.  Simmer for approximately an hour.


Watch out!  All persons in the house will come running seeing what that wonderful aroma is coming from your kitchen!  This is one of my favorite smells of the year... Oh and don't waste that fresh apple juice in the bottom of your pot...pour through mesh sieve and enjoy!



3.  Once mush in the pot, start straining through the food mill.  This is the step that may wear you out!  It took me about 2 hours in total to accomplish this batch.  Got my husband to help too:)


4.  What comes out of the food mill is applesauce!  Unsweetened.  Add this to freezer bags or sterilized jars to put in your freezer.  If apple butter is your goal, proceed...


Apple Butter

1.  Once you have your bowl of freshly cranked applesauce, add it to a large pot or the crockpot.  Add brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, all to taste.  You could also flavor with molasses at this point.  Simmer on low for HOURS.  The longer, the darker and thicker.  I personally like the lighter and chunkier version, but do as you like.


2.  This brings you to your finished product of apple butter.  Again, freezing was my method of preserving.  You could easily can this in a water bath or under pressure.  The thoughts of botulism bother me sometimes... Plus, I have a brand new, empty deep freezer I have to fill!


Enjoy and remember to share your work:). Others will thank you.