Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Tell Stories

Of course children love stories!  We all know some of the only quiet moments are when you get going reading a book, using different voice types for all the characters.  Usually, the more animated, the longer you have their attention!  I would like to share with you some pointers on telling stories, both children's books and the Holy Book to preschoolers.

-voice inflection- as much as you can muster.  This may not always mean you change your type of voice, just float along with the punctuation.  If there is a "..." Then sound mysterious.  If there is an"!" Then show the excitement with your voice.  I think we all naturally do this when reading to the kids.  Just be more aware of it, and watch their little faces get more involved in the story!

-quick page-turning- seems small, but one stickler page turn can ruin the entire feel of the book for them!  It's almost like creating a short moment of anticipation for what is on the next page.  But not too much:). Remember, these are preschoolers.  

-choose the story based on their countenance.  Do they need a pick me up?  Do they need a quiet, gentle read?  Is it morning, naptime, or bedtime?  For instance, we avoid stories like The Big Bad Wolf for bedtime stories...for obvious reasons.

-take away pictures- As they begin to grow, throw in an occasional chapter book.  No, I'm not crazy!  One chapter of a book geared toward a young audience, is an extremely important step towards reading for real.  Please don't overdo this, but here are some book ideas to start you off in the chapter book arena:



-last and my favorite... Creating different ways to tell your story!  My 2 latest favorites are giving us a springboard into the Bible.  

1. Act it out!  You could go as far as dress up but it is not necessary.  You need to do your homework a little for this, knowing the story pretty well so that you can smoothly tell it.  Have actions like jumping, crouching, running, kneeling, and many others.  Your children will adore this!

2. Use a prop.  For me, this is a felt board.  And let me say, I like it as much as they do!  I have made multiple felt pieces for stories already on the shelf.  I picked these books so far based on my ability to cut shapes out that made sense to me and would to them.  I put each "story" in a finished baggie for use on the board.  Just this week, I am adapting felt creations to God's Word.  If they love to listen when we do this, why only give them fictitious tales?  I see this has a huge opportunity!  Thus Moses was born.


To felt story-tell, all you need is the board (homemade very cheaply-fun times with a friend:), felt from a local craft store (usually 4 sheets for $1), a story, some creativity...then go to town!  Obviously, use the pieces one at a time as you tell the story.  Please don't clog up your board like this and expect the children to get it at all:)

I hope this has given you some new perspective on diving into both bookshelf stories and God's Holy Book-providing a new sense of excitement in the way you tell these stories.  Enjoy!