Thursday, September 12, 2013

Preparing for the Season

As I look at my calendar on this handy piece of technology...I just don't know what to say!  I have never seen it so full.  It concerns me.  All of these things on the agenda, and all things I WANT to do.  Nobody is forcing me...

Even though the summer flowers are still in full bloom on the porch, I sense the slight change in the air.  This change of seasons is well-received here in our house.  Summer is great and now, we are done with it!  I know, I know, all seasons have their purpose...that is the truth.

I was wondering what things to fill in for the season...you know, all the fall things to do!  It can be quite difficult to enjoy this time of year, if we are not intentional.  Between constant football, which I don't mind, schedules to commit to, and many pre-holiday plans in the works, fall just feels like we are falling sometimes!  So, how to choose?

I sit down with my planner.  I fill in all the necessities like the hubby work schedule and birthday functions, etc.  Then, comes church.  There are always needs at church and this is the part I see as very important.  These things come before the fall festivals with pumpkins and cozy things galore.  Pray about this as a family.  Of course, not just this time of year, but we should be concerning ourselves with the needs of others, most definitely the bride of Christ-His church.  It's just that this busy time of year, church and reaching out sometimes gets lost in the pool of our plans...


Fun enjoyment from last year:






Once the schedule is filled in, and I suggest a large look at your monthly page all together.  This will show you all the weekend options you have.  For us, we must have one weekend a month where we don't have significant plans.  This is refueling time.  Really, in total honesty, God calls us to do this once every 7 days.  Does He know what we need?

We generally make it to 2 seasonal functions of some sort.  Maybe a pumpkin patch and a fall festival somewhere.  This year, we are planning a camping trip in the mountains and a trip to a Mennonite community to watch them make molasses.  I usually attempt to make some sort of educational parallel with some of our plans-learning for the family:)

Lastly, let us enjoy this!  What a wonderful time of year!