Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Kitchen

The kitchen is one of my favorite places at home!  I really enjoy preparing meals and baking goodies for friends and family.  Lately, I am trying to take a little bit of a different turn concentrating on healthier substitutes for things.  One thing I mentioned in an earlier post is really curbing the sweets we eat.  I think my sweet tooth must be the biggest tooth in my mouth!  Are you a sweet-craver?  So, we are eating frozen yogurt with fruits for dessert.  Yes, there is still sugar, and it's not plain fruit, BUT it is a better than my favorite dessert---brownies.:)  We use olive oil, eat green veggies when we can, try not to salt if possible, minimal fast food, among others.  Some of you know we bake our bread...you think I'm crazy don't you?! What you may not realize is that it is so much fun!  (If you already like to bake, that is.)  I purchased a grain mill this weekend and made some bread that is actually nutritious!  Imagine that!  I say all this to say that if you enjoy being in the kitchen, research healthier ways to use the resources you have.  It is better for you and your family.  Also, show your children how to enjoy being at the kitchen counter.  Give them something to mix or pour for fun.  For you ladies that aren't too excited about spending time cooking, investigate what you can do to add in some healthier parts to the food you eat.  We have to take care of our bodies to be able to take care of our loved ones and reach out to those who need us.  (I still hope you'll try some new recipes!)  Here is an easy one:

Laura's Chicken Fajitas

Serves 4.  (You can double if needed)

You'll need:

3 Chicken breasts-cooked
1 green pepper
1 purple onion
4 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
dash of Crazy Jane's Mixed Up Seasoning
Wheat tortillas-8 inch
toppings

Shred chicken after it is cooked.  Dice pepper and onion and saute in olive oil until tender.  Add chicken, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, and seasoning.  Mix and saute together for a few minutes.  Warm tortillas on a plate in the microwave under a wet paper towel.  Top fajitas with sour cream and guacamole if desired.  Yum!

(We don't even have a side with this--we usually eat 2!)