Wednesday, February 1, 2012

These are Biggies!!!

Fruits:  Gentleness and Self-Control


I hesitate to even begin to type...I am deeply convicted about this topic.  It seems as though I need more self- control when it comes to discipline with Olivia.  My tone is too strong for her.  She is only 2, and it has been nothing more than me getting bent out of shape too easily.  I am praying about this.


This morning, I realize what scripture means by self-control.  What it is NOT:  It is not letting yourself control you.  What it IS: It is letting the power of Christ and his Holy Spirit intervene into your very situation to gain control over it.   In a sense, self-control is the power we are given over sin in our lives.  If I pray for self-control in my situation, I am asking the Lord to show up and squash this sinful area.  After all, He has already overcome all of my sin; I just need to give Him credit for it and open the door for Him to step in!


A beautiful work He is doing in me, small as it may seem, is showing me that gentleness overcomes frustration and even anger.  That is why these fit so wonderfully together for me!  Gentleness and Self-control.  I have begun to put this into practice.  When I speak gently to Olivia, but without hesitation, most of the time she is receptive.  This shows her that being controlled in a frustrating circumstance allows you to overcome your circumstance!   Then, I am trusting Christ that she is going to learn from my flaws and reliance on Him to fix them.  This is evidence that He is real, friends!


One last thought on this.  Let this picture of "fruit" sink in.  I plant a blackberry bush.  In the ground, it is but a mere stick figure as the rest of my garden grows lush and produces.  I keep the weeds away from the new blackberry bush.  I watch it through the first summer months.  I prune it at the end of the summer.  No fruit yet. Fall, then winter, then spring again.  I go out to see my "stick" bush.  I see a touch of green on one of the limbs.  No fruit yet.  Spring grows warmer and turns to summer.  I am determined to keep the weeds away.  I notice leaves on my bush.  In July, flowers appear.  No fruit yet.  Finally at the end of the second summer of my blackberry bush, I notice my first round of blackberries starting to bloom!  They are at first small and hard, then they grow large and juicy.  Yum!  Ready for picking!  Ladies, Fruit is what we are waiting for!  Let the work Christ is doing in you bear it's proper Fruit in proper time.  Step back, get in the Word, and see if He doesn't flood you with wonderful teachings deep in your heart.


I have really enjoyed sharing these truths with you and learning for myself...when I see my thoughts typed out, they come to life!  I am excited to have some fun in the next few posts and enjoy what we have learned with the Fruits of the Spirit!


Let this wonderful verse sink in one more time...see if you can memorize it!


"But the Fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such there is no law."  Galatians 5:22-23