Monday, September 3, 2012

They Gather

The children who are growing so fast gather.  They gather on the porch next door, in the driveway at the basketball goal.  They are laughing, mocking.

I unbuckle my little girl and she runs to the door.  While balancing as many bags of groceries as possible, I go let her in the house.  As I go back and forth, unloading the car, I overhear the conversations.  I am sad.

The kids pick on each other.  They say they are friends.  Their words curl my eyebrows.  I am so glad my daughter is inside.  Why do they treat each other so?  Some say, "that's what kids do.  It's normal."  I say no.    They are hardened to the way they treat each other.  To turn back now would be a breaking of backbone.  Boys feel awkward at this age.  Just like girls in their own way.  Are they proving themselves to each other?  They think so.

Large scars are left when our children disrespect each other.  They don't see it.  They may in 10 years.  What have I done to impact the lives of my neighbors?  Other than the Christmas candy delivery and the smiling wave, I really have not reached out.

Let's challenge each other.  Let's reach out.  Maybe the love we can show will lead them to ask why...then we get to share...