Friday, March 22, 2013

Feel Reality

A moment this week has me awe-struck.  Not that I didn't intellectually realize this about the Scriptures, but I guess I never "felt" it.  Have you ever felt like something wasn't good?  Or that it was?  What about that person beside you...did that have the same "feeling"?  Probably not.

I am sure you have heard the song by Casting Crowns: East to West.  Just a common ride in the car turned out to be a profound few minutes when I sang along like I always do.  This line:

I can't live by what I feel, but by the truth Your word reveals  

I have said in the past few years that I have been thoroughly equipped with enough feelings for about 10 women:)  After Olivia becoming part of our family, I would say it has doubled...  these feelings lead to reactions, most of them good, in fact.  The culture will scream today to do what you feel is best.  If it feels right... you know the drill.

I am writing today proclaiming the good news of the gospel of Jesus...His Word never changes!  On my best day, on my worst.  I can praise and then mourn.  Still, it stays the same.  Ladies, this is what we need.  We need a Rock to rest upon.  We've got to take how we are feeling, let the Holy Spirit fruitfully give us self-control, hold that in front of us and take it captive.

We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.  2 Corinthians 10:5

Then, we take ourselves right back to where we belong:  the Word.  What a wonderful load off of our backs!  Feelings can lead us, but they can also mislead us.  We should not let our reactions - the way we feel - take hold of us so much that it becomes our new reality.

This song has played a hundred times easy with me singing right along.  I have been convicted of my sin many times with this one.  I have been in shock about how far the East is from the West...I mean really!  I have played it over in my mind of Jesus hanging there on that cross...but I have never gotten the chance to put to use not living by what I "feel."  I pray this gives you POWER today.  This is a fresh start for me.

  All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.  2 Timothy 3:16-17

Song:  East to West
Artist:  Casting Crowns

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyoVJfADlwo