Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Before and After

Well, the painting project is done!  I have only recently decided to spruce up a couple of furniture pieces we have.  Have you ever refinished anything?

The outdoor patio set was simple as pie.  I took it apart and moved it into the grass.  I purchased 4 cans of Rustoleum weather proof spray paint in a brown I liked.  I did have to sand a little on a couple spots that had previously chipped.  Other than that, I just wiped it down and sprayed!  I ended up purchasing a couple more cans.  It took more than I thought it would, mainly for all the nooks of the chairs.  And, what do ya know, like a new set!


Very pleased with this.  So pleased that I decided to take on the dining room set...whoa!

After plenty of insight from Dad, I purchased my materials.  

-Citrus stripper to remove layers of wax over the years.
-already had a scraper to remove stripper the next day
-automatic sander...necessity when you have round table, 2 leafs, and 6 spindles chairs
-paint-Krylon brand satin black spray- took 11 cans
-gloss black finish for top of table surface
-poly finish for top of all surfaces
-2 sponge brushes

Oh, and plenty of throw away rags and 1 large painting tarp.  

What I learned (maybe will help you):

-It will take longer than you think.
-Be prepared to let the paint dry at least 72 hours.
-When stripping wood, have on gloves that you'll throw away...the grossest thing I have ever done!
-Spray painting coverage in the natural sunlight will cause you to miss some spots...always take indoors (maybe the garage) and be ready to touch up.  It beats getting it all the way inside and seeing a huge spot you missed!
-The gloss finish for high traffic dining table is a must.  I did not really desire a shine finish, but after eating on it a couple times and seeing how hard it was to clean, the gloss finish made a HUGE difference.

Would I do it again?  Yes, maybe.  With this table.  Not with something replaceable:)

Would I encourage you to try?  Please start small.  I tend to jump into big projects that are sometimes for advanced folks.  

BEFORE


DURING


AFTER