Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tiny Heart

I am chopping peppers and onions and she is coloring at the kitchen table.  She asks what we are having for dinner and I say pasta with veggies.  Ok.  She says how much she enjoys using colored pencils... 2 seconds later, she is in tears, paper waded up, scooting out her chair to run to her room.

I go to her only to hear her say she just can't stay in the lines, sobbing like crazy.  Well, my adult cynical reaction inside is, "dry up those tears.  It's not worth it."  Sometimes I really tell her something like that!  But this time, when I kneeled down to be in line with her eyes, I saw the tiniest little heart.  And, boy was it the saddest thing I ever did see!  She was really upset about this.  I mean, it hurt her feelings that she had messed up some on a little ol' piece of paper.  Then, praise God, I saw the beauty in it!

Isn't it wonderful to see beauty where there once was hurt or pain or difficult things?  Those tear soaked eyes of my little girl were all He needed to remind me.  We are oh so fragile.  Humans, women.  Little girls turn into ladies and we have feelings, from day one.  Hopefully as time passes, we learn how to handle them.  As moms, we've just got to take this perspective with our children.  We may not get it, not one bit.  I certainly don't understand most of the breakdowns that she has...  But, when we see true emotions that are sincere and not disrespectful, we've got to embrace them however we can.

After all, one day if God leaves us on this earth for a while, we will see the person that the child becomes.  With her, I don't desire anything more than transparency.  To be true and honest and emotional if that's the way she is wired.

Beautiful tear stains.  Don't we all have them?  And faith is MUCH bigger on the other side of them.  We prayed for a little one named Sadie at bedtime tonight.  Olivia said, "I don't know that girl.  Why is she sick?" I told her the family attends our church and I don't know why...  I told her there is a purpose for good somewhere in it and that all I know is someone may love Jesus because of it.  She cried.  For a little girl she doesn't even know.  I swallowed the knot in my throat and let her wipe her eyes on the sleeve of my shirt.  

Yes, tear stains are wonderful.