Sunday, August 25, 2013

Mommy Med-Tech

Maybe you know that my "first" career choice was Medical Technology.  I worked at some very cool places and met some very awesome folks.  What is a Medical Technologist anyway?  Let's see if I can give you a mother's perspective...



Is that the incubator door opening in the Microbiology department down the hall?  Oh no, just a naptime diaper behind a closed door.  Wow, smells really can permeate an entire house in minutes flat!

Was that a broken specimen tube coming out of the centrifuge, maybe the balance was off?  No way, just a Popsicle shirt on the hottest day ever.

Should I wear my PPE-protective gear for this spill?  Probably so, seeing how I need to shower IMMEDIATELY afterward...

Whoa, great job well done in that annual review.  Whew!  Surrounded by so many encouragers here at my job at home.  My husband reminds me.  The mothers and friends.  My family.

Break time!  Breakfast and lunch.  Only this time, I better not get the baby spoon mixed up with my own when I take a bite... How many bowls and plates can 4 little ones need at the same time!

Experiments...oh yes, we have them!  Making brownies, learning to measure, dropping eggs to see if they break, learning that each of us can talk to Jesus in our time of need.  A little different from the quality control of new antigens or running parallel studies on new instruments.

How many passwords can a hospital lab employ have at the same time?  At least 5 or 6 if you play your cards right.  Just yesterday I was knocking my "password" on the door of the dollhouse seeing if little baby Sue would let me in...


How many parts of the lab are there?  Well, there is chemistry, micro, immunology, virology, and the list goes on and on...  In the "lab" at home, we also have many places to work up activities... My favorite is the backyard!

It is like a family when you work outside the home.  Taking them for who they are and not being able to change another's personality.  Just the same at home, only it is a God given blessing of blood and heart that we get blessed with.  And I do mean BLESSED.

Gentle Hearts Photography

Can I pause to say what it meant to me to have a place to earn money each day to help take care of my family.  I do not take my role for granted.  I worked in a fine place that my loved ones have even sent their specimens through for testing.  I guess I'm saying if I never made it to that place, I would have never made it HOME.  It was the room God used to show me where He wanted me.  It's what I needed and I am so thankful.

From high chairs to wiping crumbs off the table...sweeping floors a few times a day, constant cooking and cleaning, how in the world is it that I know I am blessed?  My job in the working world had all those things too, just different.  Much cleaning, organizing, and major brain exercise.  At the end of the day, though, I would pick up my little girl and think about all that I had missed.  They moved her up of course, and I finally decided to obey God in what He called me to do...so thankful He was patient with me.

It took 2 years for me to listen...

Now I enjoy being a Medical Technologist in my home!