Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Assure Them

Two minutes into coloring a well-drawn picture of a banana split (ha-I'm no artist), I hear- 

"Is mine pretty?"  

Another color added on, one scoop of ice cream colored in...and again, they want to know if it's pretty.




My mind swirls with the fence-walking a little girl requires of her mother.  I should tell you, I asked them to finish their picture before analyzing it.  I'm not into every-5-minute-praise here.  How many children can pick pretty colors to use together anyway?  Yes, most of them.  It just hit me hard during this simple morning exercise.  How much attention do they need?  Am I to constantly reassure them?

In general, this applies to all the children I keep at home and most I'm around at church in the preschool.  For safety's sake, and just because I know her most intimately, I am focusing on my Olivia. What a tender heart.  Easily joyful, easily brought to tears.  Strong though.  She is a normal little girl, but after seeing her grow a bit, I am noticing she is okay with not being noticed.  She wants to know how I feel about her artwork-yes, but only after someone else brings it up.  



So, I am exploring the topic of affirmation.  I wonder where we decide to draw the line?  If you know me personally, which you may feel as though you do if you stick around here, you know I refer to myself as a delicate flower.  No shame in saying I have required plenty of affirmation through my years. I wear my heart on my fingertips.  Always have.  There came a point when I had to realize that sometimes I have to believe what someone says about me.  Someone who loves and cares for me.  Someone who knows my heart and just how fragile it is.

The Lord was talking to Samuel and told him this:

Do not look at his appearance or at his physical stature, because I have refused him.  For The Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but The Lord looks at the heart.

Just today, a wonderful verse in devotion- from Joshua when he was preparing for battle-

Be strong and courageous.  Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for The Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.

Affirming little girls means telling them you love them.  Hugs all around.  Liking their art and latest outfit choice... But at the end of the day, we should not seek to provide every ounce of assurance they need.  She is young, I'm aware, but sometimes I ask her to talk to Jesus about it.  See what He thinks.  When we share a story from His Words together, we have a chance to make a parallel into their little hearts.  I hope to lead her by my own rugged walk, into knowing this is reality.  Not just a strange, angelic, far away type of god.

By all means, let's praise their work!  Maybe if this is speaking to you, take a moment that's right to sit down, snuggle them close and tell them boldly that while you love their ideas and creativity, it really doesn't matter what everyone thinks all the time.  Only what Jesus thinks.  You know as well as I that life will pull them apart about this--especially little girls.


Are we pleasing Him?  Or are we seeking to please those around us?  For me...it is a delicate, daily prayer in balancing this walk of life.  Let's teach them early.