Friday, January 17, 2014

For the Birds

It is so funny to see the way all these birds just appear out of nowhere the second I put seed in the feeders.  It's almost like a dog when you head toward the food bucket for their meal.  Or a little girl when you quietly open the bag of m&ms behind the pantry door....they must smell it!

My kitchen window is the only window that has no covering.  We don't have any houses behind us, only pasture and trees.  Any full-windowed glass would still need to be covered at night, in my opinion, but not the over-the-sink window.  I live in my kitchen at least half the day.  My table is there, my doggie goes outside there, the kids' plates pile up there, and of course the food is there!  The bird feeders are outside my window and can I just confess the birds have seen it all!

I am not sure how you feel about God knowing every thought and intention of our hearts.  Truth is, He does, no matter how we feel about that.  The closest earthly example for me hit me like a bag of birdseed yesterday.  As I was licking the spoon, very generously I might add, of the brownie batter before dropping it into the dishwater...I looked up to see a cardinal staring me down.  Like he knew my secret...ha! I see you!  

"Please mr. Cardinal, don't go to the next window over and tell my 4 year old!  I beg you!"

I have been in sheer gluttony, have been with my arms folded in anger, have been washing dishes with cracked hands but crazy peace on the inside, have been in tears pleading with God to make it through the day...ladies, where is your secret place?  The one where reality sets in?




God is there.  In our hidden moments, we can be assured He knows where we are and what we are doing.  We think we can hide, but his love overtakes all the boundaries we make, even if we never know it.  A place where we are honest, a place He can rescue us.  In studying creation of this world and how we all came into being, I am in awe of the ways He knows me, knows us.  He is walking with Adam and Eve.  And then, after their deceit, He is asking them how they know they have done wrong. Surely He already knew these answers!  He cares.  He cares about what we have to say, and He cares enough to bring us through things out to the other side.  The beauty I have found is that my life is never in secret with Him.  I may fool others around me, but not my Savior.  He lives in me, seeing the depth of my smiles and my wounds.  

I am never alone.

Just tell those birds to go tell all their friends...