Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Naptime



I know if you have a little one, naptime is one of your prized times of day.  Not because you can't wait to get away from the dolls and questions, but because it can be a time of purpose or rest.  Today I would like to free up your naptime.

Make a to-do list but don't fret when it isn't checked off.  I am the world's worst for this.  I'm talking irritable!  There are some days that I just sit and stare at the window.  My glazed over moments. My thinking time.  There are some times that I am more than ready to jump on that treadmill and burn it up!  Then, there are those days that I have high expectations, but one child gets up crying or has to potty three times.  Or I jam my finger in the sewing machine.  No matter how you spend nap times, here are some things I have found that give me focus each week for these times:

-Think about the layout of your space.  Do you have a place that you can do "louder" activities if you need to?  Between the treadmill and sewing machine, my bonus room is very functional for this.  Maybe a garage could work for exercise or any other activity you might do.

-What requires concentration?  Do you have lesson plans, planners, write a blog;), write to others, reading, etc.?  As you probably have figured out on your own, naptime is a great chance to use complete quietness as a tool for the brain.

-Save the dirty dishes!  If you find yourself with a large to do list, don't use this precious hour or two for chores that could be done while the little one is sitting at the table doing artwork for goodness sakes!  My favorite time to clean the kitchen is during crafts at the table.  I can step over to help, chit chat as they work, and get the counter and sink cleaned all together.  

-Making a point.  Have we read our Bible today?  Adding a little dose of conviction for all of us mothers.  If the morning is not your time to jump into the Word, please use naptime.  So quiet the Holy Spirit may have time to say something!  I have learned a great deal when I have layed down my lists and calendars for the sake of Him.  Can't say I always make this choice, but oh, what we can learn!

Some humors here...oh and take the dog out BEFORE lay down time.  Ha!  He takes his nap with the girls too!  It couldn't be cuter or better.