Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Snickerdoodles

As he is affectionately known by our family...Marley has been with us for about 6 weeks now.  He is now officially a family member!  I have seen new puppy owner ups and downs, so I thought I would share some things I have learned so far.  If you are in the market for a furry addition, here are some considerations and tips for you!


-Take a long time to consider the breed.  Will it be full blood or mixed or a rescue?  Everyone has their reasons for each type.  For us, we had rescued our cat and frankly regretted this through the years with her aggressiveness.  Yes, of course it is better to rescue to keep these animals from being euthanized or going back to an abusive situation, but we also had to keep our "human" family top priority with our choice.  If your decision is to purchase from a breeder, what is the dollar amount you will pay?  Do they give any initial shots and how old will the puppy be when you get him?  All things to consider BEFORE you ever cuddle a furry friend...my point is, don't get attached before you have thought through some things.

-He will eat anything that fits in his mouth.  MUCH worse than a human baby...because he is much faster!  He grabs and runs:). At least a baby can't get away that fast!  Plan to get used to sticking your hand inside his mouth.  I'm not a classic "dog" person so this grossed me out at first!  I have grabbed hairbows, paper and even socks from halfway down his throat.  

-What size of a dog should you get?  All puppies start small...some smaller than others:). But consider him full grown.  After all, it only takes a year for a quadruple in size if the dog is supposed to be big.  Like they always say, they grow up fast!  

-Will he be indoors, outdoors or both?  Do you have an entry/exit door of your home that you can potty train him to every time?  Carpet, hardwood or tile?  Where will you put his crate if he is indoors?  His full grown crate, of course.

-Are there children in your home?  Will they be safe?  Will the dog be safe? 

-how will you transport the dog in the car?  Most folks choose a crate to start but that has to change as he grows if you have a large breed.  We are nearing this stage and hope to find a halter collar for the seatbelt soon.  I'm sure this will be loads of fun to have buckled in!

While there are plenty more questions to consider, I will stop here.  I hope you see the homework you may want to do before bringing your animal home.  Let me share a bit about my experience so far.  Remember, everyone's experience is unique, so yours will be different with your furry friend.  This is just to offer something for you to bounce off of.



Marley came home at 6 weeks old.  He was purchased from a breeder and slept all the way home in the backseat beside Olivia.  He looked so small in that crate... We placed the crate a couple different places when we got home until we got into the groove with the orientation we have now.  Yes, the crate he came home in is almost too small now!  A friend supplied us with the biggest crate I have ever seen...been tempted to see if me and the girls could all fit inside:).  We keep it out in the garage with a comforter over it.  If he is crated during daytime, we lift the comforter and leave the garage light on.  If it is night, he is covered and only uses a nightlight.  The garage is the second place we have tried him at night, after early morning barking in the bonus room was more than we could handle.  He doesn't bark at all now.  We think he was hot upstairs.

His breed is not pure.  He is goldendoodle.  His hair is long and fuzzy but little to no shedding.  Very minimal allergy risk.  He loves to play bite and we are working on that feverishly.  He loves the kids.  They are getting used to his ways and enjoy petting him and running outside:). I still get some anxiety when they are all playing together simply because of our past with Simba the cat.  I stay right there with them.  It is hard for me to get it in my mind that he actually WANTS to be loved on.  He is big for 12 weeks.  In just 4 weeks, he has doubled in size to 15 pounds.

Potty training.  Been less stressful after we got used to the hourly outdoor time!  He rarely has accidents, but when he has them, they come in multiples.  This is the part where I must say that potty training needs to happen quick and early.  This is very difficult if nobody is home all day.  I suppose eventually all dogs will be trained, but having him taken out all day helps to move the process to lightning speed!  Now, we know when to take him out and the signs of elimination.  Of course, we have lapses.  I suggest a towel for "mud" shoes at the door and a towel for the dog when the weather is nasty.  Get all towels ready BEFORE you go out each time.  This will save the carpet if you have it.

Maintenance.  We bathe him once a week, but I am sure this will change as he grows.  Give me time...I am not used to a dog in the house!  I want him to be bathed frequently for later too.  Hopefully he will not question bath time when he is as big as Olivia after having so many as a pup.  I brush him every other day and after his fur starts to dry after his bath.  Not something I particularly enjoy, but with poodle hair, I know it will tangle quickly.  This just helps him stay cleaner.  I tried the hair dryer, but you know how that went...




Best thing by far about him being here is that Olivia calls him her little brother!  They play for a straight hour running around the living room, her getting him to run through the princess tunnel and throwing his ball.  Her cheeks just blazing red afterward!  The hardest part has been the logistics for me.  When to crate him, when to let him roam.  It has been one of the biggest commitments I have ever engaged in outside of my child.  For example, I have found that it is best to let him first see all the girls when they are at the breakfast table each morning.  He gets his morning excitement out before they are down on his level.  Also, they get to do their puzzles and quiet time activities on the floor without him eating puzzle pieces and licking hair!  My commercial is that I recommend a goldendoodle for anyone who has children and needs a non shedding animal.  I will keep you posted as he gets bigger...surely I will learn plenty more and some things I have said here may change.  Happy cuddling your furbaby!